Welcome to my recipe page!

Just a happy healthy lifestyle :)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Strawberry Salad - Two Variations!

This salad has been one of my favorite summer lunches for the past 4 years. I never get sick of it! And the thing about a salad is that you can really make it however you want it. I will give you some guidelines to what I have found to be two delicious variations of a summer strawberry salad.

Version 1

Strawberry Pecan Salad

You will need:
1 cup romaine lettuce
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1 oz crushed pecans
1-2oz goat cheese
4 slices large strawberries
2 tbs Dressing of choice - try something with oil and vinegar base and watch the ingredients, or make your own. I found a raspberry walnut that I like
Protein of choice - I like to add grilled shrimp! 3oz
Salt and pepper if you wish for taste

How I layer: 
Mix the greens and dressing in a bowl. This will allow for the cheese to stick. Add cheese, mix again. Place strawberries, shrimp (or other) and pecans on top. Sprinkle with some extra goat cheese. Enjoy!

If you are mixing in other veggies, I would do this at the stage where you mix in the goat cheese.
Easy!

Version 2

Strawberry Basil Salad

You will need:
1 cup romaine lettuce
1 cup baby spinach leaves
4 fresh basil leaves, shredded
1-2oz goat cheese
4 slices large strawberries
2 tbs dressing of choice - I used traditional balsamic and a tuscan herb EVOO from http://www.saratogaoliveoil.com/main/index.php <-- This place is amazing. If you live around Saratoga or Burlington or come visit me or are just in the area, you need to go!
Protein of choice - I like grilled chicken - 3 oz
Salt and pepper if you wish for taste

Layer the same way as above, replacing the basil with pecans.




No comments:

Post a Comment