Welcome to my recipe page!

Just a happy healthy lifestyle :)

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Better (for you) Than Reeces!

Healthy Peanut Butter Cups!


Just please learn from my mistakes! I have made these multiple times now, MOST times they come out delicious. Little did I know that chocolate is a thermo plastic substance.... I had no idea what this meant. My chocolate that I had melted hardened a bit and I put it back on the stove, thinking I could re-melt it. Didn't happen. THEN just as I'm getting really frustrated.. my boyfriend says "are you sure chocolate isn't a thermo plastic substance?"

In my irritated state I wanted to hear nothing of his definitions and looked it up online. Chocolate falls in to this category. I am sure that some of you are more experienced with desserts and have found out one way or another that chocolate does not re-melt once you melt it... I, however, have never much been into baking or dessert making. I made them anyway, but you better believe I will always make sure to have my cups prepared with peanut butter before melting the chocolate!

This is one instance where my love for efficiency did NOT come in handy at all.

What You Need:
3/4 cup of LB's peanut butter (a few posts down)
6 TBS raw honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 - 1/4 cup coconut oil (if you made my peanut butter with the coconut oil as suggested, and do not like coconut flavor, you may want to add less than the recommended 1/4 cup)
1/3 cup chopped peanuts
4 oz unsweetened chocolate - that's the key to making it good for you! NOT dark or semi-sweet
Double boiler or heat safe bowl
Mini muffin cups

What To Do:
Combine peanut butter, 2 tsp honey, vanilla, coconut oil, and chopped peanuts. Drop a teaspoon into each of the mini muffin cups.
*Should make approx 24 minis. If you do not have minis or want larger cups, use about double the amount to make 12

Heat water in double boiler (or if you do not have one, heat water in pot and place heat resistant bowl on top) and place chopped chocolate in the top portion. Stir until melted, adding in remaining honey as you'd like. I now add around 2 tsp.. but if you like them sweeter use all 4. MAKE SURE your cups are filled with peanut butter before doing this! Quickly drop about a tsp of chocolate onto the cups (double if using large) and place in freezer.

I refuse to show you a picture of my awful mistake - but they looked great before I hardened my chocolate!
(pic is recipe doubled)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment